Monday, January 01, 2007

It's New Year's, Time For Change

Ah, Happy New Year everyone! Time to reflect and make some changes. Or at the very least, time to think about change, and then let enough time pass that nothing happens.


In our neck of the woods, change is evident in some of the trees. It is finally fall here. There are a scattering of deciduous trees in our neighborhood, a couple in my own backyard. We changed the kid unfriendly landscaping (visualize Ian patting a prickly pear cactus with his bare hands, OUCH!) this last October, and purposely planted some Chinese Pistache. Now our kids can see some lovely red leaves to prove there is a change in season.

Change, something I'm not afraid of. In the last four years, my life has undergone major change. A divorce, life in the single lane, true love found, marriage, new house, two babies, quit being an elementary school teacher to be a stay at home mom, yes, some seriously major changes. Whew, I am exhausted, but also, I am grateful for each new experience that has helped me grow as a person.

Tradition dictates that with a New Year, we make a New Year's resolution. The Babylonians celebrated this tradition, typically returning borrowed farm equipment. Hmmm, I don't think I've borrowed any farm equipment this year, despite the landscaping project. I guess I need to think of another resolution. Think, think, think. It would be nice to choose something that I'm motivated in and will actually achieve.

One area I'm sorely lacking in, is exercise. This doesn't mean I'm heading to the gym any time soon. Blah, boring. I just need to get out of the house and move this languid body. The kids need to get out more too. We're something of homebodies, not good in my opinion. Fresh air, new sights and sounds would do us all a world of good, especially after being cooped up sick the last week (I'm healthy, just both kids and Paul are sick) . Going to the park, the zoo, a museum, yes, yes that's it! I'm excited!

Ok, I've found my New Year's resolution: everyday, we will get out of the house. Going to a park, the zoo, a museum, counts. Going to the store or mall, doesn't. Playing in the backyard counts, after all, we did redo the landscaping and have a humongous sandpit to dig up, and grassy area to run around in, we should utilize it. The point is to get out, get moving, and have fun!

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is a lot to happen in four short years. I'm so glad that you have had incredible little blessings like Ian and Lauren. Good resolution, it's inspiring.

PoconoMom said...

good for you. i've resolved to do the ol' lose weight thing, then i can work on getting out more with the kids as well.
good luck and god bless.

Lady M said...

Wow, that's an awful lot of activity for four years! I love your attitude towards change. Happy New Year!

Knitting Maniac said...

I have decided to start modeling behavior that I want my children to exemplify.... and yours goes hand in hand with what I was thinking, too... get out. move around. have fun.

Happy New Year! and hope the sickies are better!

Anonymous said...

I agree that getting out is a great idea. Morgan and I are homebodies as well and while it's fine, it's also not fine. Maybe if I get out, I will be able to meet people and maybe have some friends! I'm like you--a lot has happened to me in the last two years and while I hate that I went through it, I think it's helped make me ME and has made me stronger. I hope 2007 is everything you wish it to be!!

Peter said...

Happy New Year!
Your resolution sounds great. Getting outside is always good, fresh air and sunshine, nice.

Mama's Moon said...

Happy New Year, Mamacita! Change is definitely good, and I'm totally diggin' that you're resolution to get out for exercise involves the little ones. Something I definitely should start doing more of with Jordan. Good luck, and I wish you the best of 2007!

The Sheppard's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Sheppard's said...

I love getting out with the kids. It sure does make them happier and the days seem to just fly by (not sure if that is a good thing..they grow up way too fast). I'm learning to just enjoy my children everyday and taking them on countless adventures is so exciting and challenging.