Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Kiss Will Make It Better

Our bedtime ritual usually ends with all four of us cuddling and reading books in Paul's and my bed. Laurel is in my lap, and Ian is laying against the pillows next to me. Ian gets squirmy and decides he needs to get up. As he adjusts his weight and leans forward, his chin rams right into Laurel's unsuspecting head. Her screams fill the entire house, heck the entire neighborhood.

Ian is worried. "Mommy, Waurel is crying. Waurel has a boo-boo."

"Yes, Ian, her head hurts."

"Don't cry Waurel. I'll kiss it and make it better."

He leans in, and places a delicate kiss on her head. "There you go, Waurel, all better."

The screams continue, but Paul and I simultaneously say, "Aw."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And the book recommendations keep coming...

Laurel is active, to put it mildly. It is difficult for her to sit through more than a couple of pages in most picture books. And yet, I found one. She loves to look at and listen to Hush Little Baby by Sylvia Long. I actually sing the tune as we go through the book, which I'm sure helps Laurel sit still and relax. The sweet illustrations also get her attention. Instead of using the song's traditional materialistic words, Sylvia Long rephrased it to focus on things parents and their children can share together in sight and sound. "...mama's going to show you a hummingbird. If that hummingbird should fly, mama's going to show you the evening sky."

6 comments:

Mama's Moon said...

"Awwww" to both Ian's kiss and the book! Poor Waurel! I'm totally watching your site for book recommendations. It's a great way for me to stock up on quality stuff!!

Anonymous said...

Oh that's so sweet! Can't wait until we have two!

(Happy Delurking Week!)

Elizabeth said...

Such an awwww from me, too. I hope that Hunter does the same someday...

Lady M said...

That book sounds like such a good idea. The "gonna buy you a (whatever)" lines of the song always bothered me.

Knitting Maniac said...

I love to watch sibling interactions... they are precious and one of a kind.

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

The love between siblings can be overwhelming at times. That is so sweet!