Saturday, January 27, 2007

Hide and Seek

Thank you to everybody wishing Laurel well. Only throwing up once today is a huge improvement. She's not eating much, and she's definitely not acting herself. Normally, she runs around the house terrorizing Ian. Today, she mostly slept, and when awake, she sat still and half heartedly played with a few toys. Cuddling was her priority.

While Laurel slept, Paul and I decided to play hide and seek with Ian. Being all of two, Ian doesn't quite understand all the rules, but it's fun to play with him anyway.

Ian and I duck into the kitchen to count, while Paul finds a hiding spot.

Me: Ok, Ian, you and I will count to ten and Daddy will hide. Then we'll go find him. Ready? One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. Let's go find Daddy. I wonder where Daddy is hiding?

Ian darts straight for the family room area and immediately finds Paul behind the kitchen/bar area.

Paul: You found me! Great job, Ian.

Me: Ian, this time you and Daddy count and I will hide.

They count and soon find me on the other side of the staircase.

Me: Ian, you found me! Ok, this time you hide and Daddy and I will count. Go hide!

Ian runs off into the living room. Paul and I count aloud and together say, "I wonder where Ian is hiding?"

Ian: Here I am, here I am.

Ian runs towards us from where he was hiding, no seeking necessary on our parts.

Me: Ian, you need to stay in your hiding place until we find you. How about you and I hide and Daddy tries to find us?

Ian: Ok, Mommy, ok.

Ian and I hide on the other side of the staircase. I squat down to Ian's level and hold him so he won't run towards Paul. Paul counts and begins searching for us.

Paul: I wonder where Mommy and Ian are?

Ian: We're over here, Daddy, we're over here.

Me: Sh, we need to be quiet so Daddy can't find us.

Paul: Is Ian by the couch?

Ian: No, Daddy, I'm over here. I'm over here, Daddy!

Me: Ssshhh-shhh-shhhh. (Giggling.)

Paul: Is Ian by the t.v.?

Ian: No, Daddy, I'm over here, over here, Daddy!

Me: Ssshhh-shhh-shhhh. (Laughing.)

Paul: I wonder where Mommy and Ian are hiding? (Laughing.)

Ian: We're over here, Daddy, we're over here!

Paul: (Standing almost next to us and laughing.) Where could Mommy and Ian be?

Ian: Daddy, I'm over here! I'm over here! Over here, Daddy!

9 comments:

Stephanie Appleton said...

My two year old does the same thing! It is pretty funny! Maybe we've taught them too well to come when we call! :)

Thanks for visiting me at Stop the Ride!

Anonymous said...

Too cute!

Kelly said...

THat is so cute!! My nieces do the same thing. Either they yell out where they are or they are laughing so hard at the anticipation they can't hold it in!! PRICELESS!!

Anonymous said...

HaHa---too funny!!

Elizabeth said...

That is so cute. I'm excited to start playing Hide and seek with Hunter.

Lady M said...

LOL! What an excellent game.

Glad that Laurel is feeling better.

Mama's Moon said...

Oh my belly hurts from laughing - please tell Ian that Jordan gives him two big thumbs up and totally approves!!!

Butterfly Mama said...

LOL!!!!! That's probably what it would be like if we played it with our two year old too!!! So funny!!!!

Butterfly Mama said...

LOL!!!!! That's probably what it would be like if we played it with our two year old too!!! So funny!!!!