Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Bah, Humbug!



This posting is dedicated to my dad, who appears gruff, but is really a giant teddy bear. He is definitely a hard person to read at times. And yet, through his actions you know just how much he cares about the people in his life.

The other day, he was over at my house watching me print the Christmas letter I typed up for my mom. He was also entertaining Ian so I could work uninterupted. Out of nowhere he stated, "Tina, you know that present you got your mother? Put my name on it too, and that will be it." Of course I gave him a quizzical look, and he restated, "I mean it!"

He doesn't know it, but this crushes me. Part of Christmas is giving people who are near and dear to you a "present," no matter the size or form it comes in. It's really more symbolic than anything, and it doesn't mean you go and hike up the credit cards. At least this is how I see it. I can see my husband Paul nodding his head in approval as he reads this, especially the part about the credit cards.

My dad constantly worries about his kids, and for the most part we have given him reason to. However, I would like to think my actions the last three years or so have shown I have done a lot of maturing. Being a parent, I also realize that you probably do spend your life worrying about your offspring, it's in the job description. So dad, I understand what you're trying to tell me, but realize this, I want to show you how much I appreciate all you've done for me. No matter what form my "token" gift comes in, it is meant from the heart. You may lecture me that you don't need anything, but I need to give you something. There WILL be a present for you under that tree! Merry Christmas, and I love you.

1 comment:

Mamacita Tina said...

To let everyone know, I got my dad carwash certificates. He loved them. :-)