Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Binky Guilt


I am having some serious doubts about whether or not Laurel should use a pacifier. She finds great comfort in sucking on something, whether it be my finger, her own fingers, a blanket, or a toy. I understand this completely. I sucked my thumb as a child. My mother thinks I started sucking my thumb because I was so sick as a baby. However, it didn't stop there, it continued into grade school. I remember how difficult it was for me to quit, and I'm relunctant to put Laurel through that.

So again, I ask myself, why do I want to give Laurel a pacifier? There are times she is inconsolible. We've changed her diaper, fed her, bathed her, walked her, rocked her, nothing seemed to work until we gave her a pacifier. Then, she settled right down. Yes, we want her to feel comforted, I just feel like a "dealer" every time I pop a binky in her mouth.

I think for now we will use it when nothing else seems to work. I only hope she's not wearing it on a necklace when she goes to her Senior Prom.

1 comment:

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

When my twins were born prematurely they were given pacifiers in the NICU. The NICU nurses said it helped comfort them and relieve pain.

I figure the trained healthcare professionals probably know what they are talking about.

My kids are two and they still have them. I assume they will be to embarrassed to take their pacifiers to Kindergarten.

Then again, I took my blankey to college.