Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Just What the Doctor Ordered

Phew, I'm tired, I'm beat. The day started at 4:30 and it hasn't stopped. I changed diapers, fed/nursed kids, cleared dishes, started laundry, changed diapers, played, read books, wiped tears, kissed boo-boos, changed diapers, painted, cleaned off painted hands and nose and chin and cheeks and anything else the smock didn't cover, changed diapers, fed/nursed the kids again, cleared dishes, wiped up spilt water (at least it was only water), changed diapers, and finally collapsed with Laurel on the couch while Ian gladly trotted off to play with his trucks. You know, just an ordinary day for a SAHM or other day care provider.

I've felt like mommy road-kill before, but at that moment, well...I felt like I had been so squashed into the ground that the only recognizable thing about me was my wedding band.

As I sat on the couch pondering how I would find enough energy to get through the rest of the day, a very excited and happy Laurel "jumped" on my legs facing me. She looked directly into my eyes wearing an elated smile and grabbed both sides of my face with her dripping wet hands. What can I say, we lost the battle with the binky and her fingers won. She then pulled herself closer to my face, her mouth wide open, and landed a big, dripping wet kiss on my chin. I pulled her away and told her she's very sweet, to which she did it again, but on my cheek this time. There was a river of drool covering my face, to which I say...


Look out world, here I come!

3 comments:

Cristina said...

It's amazing how those drooly kisses can make anyone feel better!

Nut's mom said...

she has such blue eyes! they look like Nuts!!

Oblivious Maven said...

What is it about feeding kids one meal that messes up the whole kitchen? Arg.

I hope you wore waterproof blush....if you had the chance to do your make-up, that is.