Friday, August 25, 2006

His Own Personal Scapegoat

Ian loves his baby sister. He squeals with delight as he snuggles up to her and kisses her. He's more than willing to run after the ball she dropped and give it back to her. He often gives her toys to keep her happy, even toys he's currently playing with.

All this love, however, comes at a price. I know why he's such an adoring older brother...she is his scapegoat.

A quick whiff of an all too familiar smell, and I ask, "Who pooped?"

With a twinkle in his eye, Ian delightfully yells, "Laurel pooped."

I actually believed him the first couple of times. But when every inspection proved a dry, clean diaper upon his innocent sister, I finally got wise. Now when I ask, "Who pooped?" and Ian replies, "Laurel," I go after him.

6 comments:

Knitting Maniac said...

Wait until the baby can start talking herself... then the blame games start!

beth said...

I actually saw my friend's child deny that the poop was theirs and that it was their sibling's to the point of sobbing tears. It was strange...and only remotely related. It doesn't sound like the fact that the poop belings to him is traumatizing.

kate said...

oh! that's too funny! smart little dude!
when mine passes gas i say, "who did a farty?!" and he'll say, "uncle tee!" uncle tee isn't even in the house or the same town for that matter. nice try, kid. we have a good laugh, though.

Lady M said...

Oh, clever child! Q used to tap his hip to tell us he had a poop, but now that he doesn't like having his diaper changed, we're stuck with the sniff test.

The Domesticator said...

Oh...they learn at a young age don't they? My two older ones are forever blaming my two year old for everything...I caught onto their lies soon enough!

carrie said...

Oh yes! This only gets better and better, and more elaborate as time goes on. You'd think they would learn, but no . . .

Carrie