Sunday, December 21, 2008

Commercial Seepage

TV advertisements are seldom viewed in our household. This is largely due to us having TiVo and the fact that most of the programs the kids watch, such as Dora and Backyardigans, only have commercials at the end of the show.

However, holiday shows such as Rudolph and A Charlie Brown Christmas are broadcast on major networks that place commercials intermittently throughout the program. Yes, we are able to fast forward through the ads, but when I am in the middle of fixing dinner, I am not always able to grab the remote. Agitated pleas fill the air, "Mommy, bring Snoopy back!" Of course when brainwashing toy ads fill the screen, the natives settle back down.

And so, my children are being exposed to commercials. Is it making an impact? Yes, in a way...

I am downstairs piddling around the kitchen, when I hear Laurel finally stirring from a good night's sleep. Walking into her room, I happily sing, "Good morning, Sunshine," and lay down next to her to snuggle.

"Good morning, Mommy," she replies and smiles and stretches. "Is today Christmas?"

"No, Sweetie. We still need to wait six more days."

Laurel takes this information in, smiles and states, "Yeah! Six more days 'til Christmas. And then the commercials come!"

4 comments:

Bloggy Mama said...

Tee hee. I love that they are still so innocent!

Lady M said...

So cute

Anonymous said...

Cute! I have had the same problem this week with commercials (I can't always get there to fast-forward either). I also noticed that some of the commercials on the channels with the Christmas shows aren't as kid friendly as they should be. I sure appreciate the shows that aren't interrupted!

Anonymous said...

I hate commercials! My kid hardly needs more ideas about things to ask for. ;-)